Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Not working

Okay, so I got through the cutting, and I started the stitching, such as it is. I went through and marked what needed to go where, what needed to happen, who needed to be there, what needed to be said, and so on. And now I have to do it.

And I did some! I started an addition to an existing scene early on in the novel, where Christine (our heroine) talked to her immediate supervisor (a new character) about her computer (exciting!) when the deputy managing editor comes in! Now I've stalled out. I'm on the bit where the DME rips Christine a new one, though what's stalled me is the how of the ripping.

Should I go with passive aggressive? Should I go with plain old aggressive? Plain old aggressive would be simpler. It's straight forward. But I'm leaning toward passive aggressive. That would require some shading, though he'd still be an asshole. The question has halted me for a good time now, even though I carry the manuscript in my bag constantly. I have yet to finish that scene, and I'm using it as an excuse to not write any other scene - it's the whole "I'll get to those when I figure this out" thing.

Having just written that, I think I'll move on to another scene and come back to this one later. It seems most expedient at the moment. I'd do it now, but I'm at work. And that's not an excuse.

Okay, maybe it is a little excuse.

1 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

Do both. Simple aggression is easy, do that one first. Then do the passive-aggressive one next. You will more than likely end up combining the two and you will have your scene.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home